The official message for
29 April 2018
To praise a choreography critics use a plethora of expressions like: innovative, advanced, forward, novel, revolutionary, state-of-the-art, cutting-edge, radical, breaking new ground, avant-garde. We have been led to believe that new is inherently good, especially in the arts.
For 2018 I would like to propose a fresh view of the origins. It can be a very modernistic approach of a distant period, or a faithful reconstruction based in historical research, or a creation in-between.
Choreographers can put forward their own image of an ancient period or only a century ago. It is a challenge, they will have to study the sources and stretch their imagination. They can opt for a nostalgic look or an antiquarian one. Dance schools can offer classes and performances under the theme of History: the past, origins, roots, antiquity, precedents.
Too often people think they have created something new simply because they ignore past creations. Confucius said: Study the past if you would define the future.
President of the International Dance Council
CID, UNESCO, Paris
- The official message for Dance Day is mailed to over 100,000 dance professionals in 200 countries. It is translated to dozens of languages. Please ask for a translation, or translate the message to the language of your country; send it to dance organizations and the media. You can find guidelines and previous messages at www.danceday.cid-portal.org
- World Dance Day, every year on 29 April, established in 1982 by CID, aims at attracting attention to the art of dance. It is celebrated by millions of dancers around the globe. On that day, dance companies, dance schools, organizations and individuals, professionals as well as amateurs, organize an activity addressing an audience different from their usual one.
- The International Dance Council CID is the official organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world.
- Its members are the most prominent federations, associations, schools, companies and individuals in more than 170 countries.
- CID was founded in 1973 within the UNESCO headquarters in Paris, where it is based.
- CID is official partner of UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
International Dance Council - Conseil International de la Danse
CID c/o UNESCO, 1 rue Miollis, FR-75732 Paris 15, France
Tel. +33 1 4568 4953 Mob. +33 6 1155 3111